Deep Green 1.2

This has been a difficult release. I’m very happy it’s out.

From the day the iPad was announced, more than a year ago, I wanted Deep Green to be a universal binary. You should’t have to manage several versions, and you certainly shouldn’t have to pay for it twice. So here it is for you, as a free upgrade.

Deep Green 1.2 on iPad

Even if you bought it more than two years ago, you’ll be able to run it on any of your current iOS devices. And at no point in time have you had a reason to regret buying Deep Green at a higher price, because it has stayed the same since after the short introductory period. If anything, price will increase as more features are added over time.

On a related note, I’ve decided to discontinue the free Lite version. The difference between Lite and the paid version (Lite doesn’t save games between app launches) has been practically eliminated by iOS 4.0’s multitasking.

For all you Lite users, I hope you’ve enjoyed the free ride enough to upgrade to the full version. Lite will stay in the App Store for a while to support older devices and iOS versions, but it will never run native on the iPad or support the Retina display.

If you appreciate the new version, please rate it on the App Store.

14 Comments

1. Pontus Granström said on April 20, 2011 at 11:14 pm | Permalink

Congratulations on the release!

2. Jdetraz said on April 21, 2011 at 11:40 pm | Permalink

Congratulations!
    This new version of Deep Green on iPad is great!

3. Mark said on April 23, 2011 at 9:18 am | Permalink

I happily spent $7.99 because it looked marvelous. Quite disappointed with the update though, design wise. Please revert to the old one. :)

4. Joachim Bondo said on April 23, 2011 at 9:32 am | Permalink

Mark, you can revert to the old look by going to the Settings app and enable the Classic skin. That should solve your “problem”. If you have an iPad or Retina device, you’ll even benefit from the new hi-res graphics.

5. titanic said on April 24, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

I don’t have either iphone4 or ipad but the update is great. Thanks for a great simple game.

6. Oliver said on April 26, 2011 at 5:40 am | Permalink

Fantastic update. Thank you. I tried going back to the classic skin (because I was such a huge fan of it) but I’ve switched to the new one.

7. James said on April 26, 2011 at 12:55 pm | Permalink

The best chess game just got better. Thanks for an awesome release!

8. Craig Hunter said on April 26, 2011 at 4:34 pm | Permalink

You may have other reasons to discontinue the lite version, but you can make the app opt out of multitasking with a simple plist entry. With that, the app would terminate following iOS <= 3 behavior whenever the uses switches to another app or hits the home button.

9. Alex McKenna said on April 26, 2011 at 4:50 pm | Permalink

I just purchased on the Daring Fireball recommendation, but I am having an issue where the popups indicating “check” “Checkmate” never go away, even after I start a new game.

Otherwise, it is lovely.

10. Nick R. said on April 26, 2011 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

I’ve been meaning to get into chess for some time now. I’ve had a board (never touched), on the Mac (never at my computer except for work) and grabbed 1 or 2 from the App Store. Still never stuck. The apps just weren’t polished enough, or didn’t feel “right” to me.

Last night I downloaded this. Wow. Amazing job on this one. The simplicity is what makes it so elegant. Love, love, love the work you did on this game.

Making it universal after being released two years ago shows your level of commitment to customers. It’s this type of thinking that will bring more to you faster.

11. Joachim Bondo said on April 28, 2011 at 10:33 pm | Permalink

Craig, I didn’t even think of that. It’s a great tip. But as you allude to, there are many reasons for me wanting to pull it. Fuelled by this article by Marco Arment, I did so tonight

Alex, a few others have had the same issue, and I’m current looking into it. It should be fixed in the next bug-fix release.

Everybody, thanks so much for your support. It’s very encouraging, I really appreciate it.

12. Victor said on April 29, 2011 at 4:12 pm | Permalink

Great update! Please add a way to play with friends. Thanks

13. Matthew L said on May 23, 2011 at 6:14 pm | Permalink

If this has Retina support, I’m all over it. I love this chess app, best one out there, but I haven’t been able to use it on my iPhone as I haven’t been able to get past the resolution!

14. Joachim Bondo said on May 23, 2011 at 6:33 pm | Permalink

Matthew, the new version runs in native resolutions on all currently known devices, including the ones with a Retina display.

2 Trackbacks

1. said on April 26, 2011 at 4:33 pm

[...] that much for it when I bought it. Free updates to orig­i­nal pur­chasers, even back from 2008. From the blog post announc­ing the update: Even if you bought it more than two years ago, you’ll be able to run it on any of your cur­rent [...]

2. said on April 26, 2011 at 8:09 pm